View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 PM
Addicted Ledgie

aleuzzi: Did Christine fly out to meet them or did she debut with them at the Warehouse in New Orleans?

Or both? And was it done eagerly, or with anticipation and/or reservation?

Moz: It would make more sense for her to debut with them instead of joining them in the middle of a tour, but August 8 (also at the Fillmore West) is the only date I have for Chris starting the tour.

Christine became an official member of the group at the beginning of the tour in the summer of '70, which purportedly began at the Warehouse Cafe in the Big Easy in August [might want to also confirm that Aug 8 date]. This was not long after the Kiln House project was completed, and before the album actually made it to the store shelves in the USA. Certain sources cite her official tenure as beginning at the start of the Future Games production, but I do not believe this is correct.

Moz: I don't know the exact release date with that (recorded late 1970, right?), nor how high it charted. I'll do a bit more digging around..

Dragonfly never charted AFAIK, either in the UK or US. Great single though, just ask Peter Green.

sharksfan2000: Moz, the band never made this summer '69 US tour - it was cancelled at the last minute.

That's what I had thought also. Good you have that reference book to keep us drones honest.

Getting tour dates fixed is always a bitch. To my knowledge, the first 6 USA tours went as follows [front line personnel bracketed]:
- Summer of '68 [Green, Spencer]
- Winter of '68 [Green, Spencer, Kirwan]
- Winter of '69 [Green, Spencer, Kirwan]
- Summer of '70 [Spencer, Kirwan, C. McVie]
- Spring of '71 [Spencer, Kirwan, C. McVie] => [Green, Kirwan, C. McVie]
- Autumn of '71 [Kirwan, McVie, Welch]

Maybe your Hjort source can confirm this sharksfan.

Getting any sort of factual minutiae down is always rough going, that much more so when done in retrospect and so many years later (and with so many conflicting accounts claiming one thing or another). Even Green's and McVie's departures from the Bluesbreakers remain a tad controversial, with some claiming - erroneously imo - one or both were fired (as opposed to leaving of their own accord, or when their contracts expired). And on and on it goes...