View Single Post
Old 04-01-2006, 04:46 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skcin
Strange that I have no issues with LB doing "Oh Well", though. I have no explanation for that. Sue me.
On that, I've heard it done by Peter, Bob, Lindsey, Billy, and even a duet with Bekka and Billy. So, for me, that song is more associated with Fleetwood Mac than Peter Green. Which is why I really don't have an issue with Bekka and Billy doing songs like "The Chain," "World Turning," SYLM, YMLF, GYOW, and "Don't Stop." Those are songs known as Fleetwood Mac songs. And, I think that's where the split amongst fans typically lies.

My THEORY is that a lot of fans really don't give a damn about the actual music. It's the drama and the image that the music represents that they actually like. Billy, Rick, Bekka, and Dave don't represent that drama or that image, so their music is quickly dismissed by certain fans. Fans, like myself, who enjoy all of the different incarnations, for whatever reason, don't get quite so caught up in the drama/image of those two, and take the music for what it is. But, ultimately, it's the image that sells, and they know it. The fact that "the kiss" was on the back cover of "The Dance" and was even used on a concert t-shirt proves that point to me.

Still, have you ever noticed how nobody flinches when Bekka or Stevie does a Christine McVie song (though, Stevie butchering the lyrics certainly hurt her cause in that regard). The suggestion that these two Californians, who prior to 1975 couldn't get arrested in their own back yards, somehow have songs that are so sacred that nobody dare ever cover them, is almost as overly dramatic as the two singer-songwriters in question. Oh sure, it was okay for them to do "Hypnotized," Bob's signature song, but heaven forbid Bekka does a song that was really just an album track. A favorite criticism was that Billy did "Blue Letter" in 1987. I'll let you ponder the irony for a moment.

I will say that I loved what Bekka and Billy did with GDW, especially compared to the horrid versions from 1987-1990 that I've heard. I certainly will take it over Hole's cover anyday. That having been said, I actually think "Angel" would have been a better Stevie cover for Bekka, and why they didn't do "Believe Me" is, no pun intended, a mystery to me.

THE Stephen Hopkins