Thread: MacNuggets
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default written by Homer McVie

By Stephen Rowland 30 November 2010

I knew about the Ark before anyone (except Swedish people). I know more about the Ark than anyone (except for a Swede here or there).

And this makes me sad. I’ve spent years running about, proclaiming to everyone, “The Ark are the best band working!” People ignored me, but their response was irrelevant. I held the secret. I had the key. These glorious Swedes were the best band working.

Obligatory lesson: 1991, band formed, everyone hated them (I’ve heard some of their early stuff, and trust me, it is bad). Ola Salo started transforming the band, much like Lindsey Buckingham turned Fleetwood Mac from a total bore into an if-you-don’t-own-Rumours-you-just-might-die empire (that exists, to this day, literally in every single record or thrift store in the entire United States of America). Anyway, Ola the palindrome was not only a monstrous showman, he was a superb songwriter. He played Jesus in a Swedish production of Jesus Christ Superstar and has composed his own symphonies, for Christ’s sake. Yet pop has never been beneath him.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/review/...-full-regalia/