View Single Post
Old 06-04-2003, 09:51 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally posted by sodascouts
Does it take away from Lindsey's prestige as a guitarist that so many of his guitar parts on SYW are manipulated in some way?
Very interesting topic. I don't think the fact that so many of the SYW guitar parts are manipulated takes any prestige away from LB, but only because he has given some incredible live performances. If he had never performed, for example, "Big Love" or "NGBA" live, people would wonder just how much of the great guitaring on his albums is due to him and how much is due to machines. In such a case (where a guitarist produces brilliant parts in the studio but fails to reproduce them live, or produce live alternate versions which are just as good or better) that does take a lot of prestige from that person as a guitarist, but not as a musician. If somebody can take simple guitar recordings and manipulate them using many machines in the studio to make them sound like a fantastic piece of music, then that person is a very talented musician, regardless of how good a guitarist he is.

When it comes to these "best guitarists" lists, what annoys me is that they usually just name those people who have famous guitar solos, or even worse, people who are simply famous. There is no mention of a single famous classical guitarist, even though their technical abililty and fluidity far exceeds that of many, if not everyone, on these lists.

On a list of say, 100 greatest non-classical guitarists, I think LB should be on it, and at a very good position, because of his ability as an absolute genius fingerpicking guitarist and those songs which are a direct result of his style (e.g. NGBA, Big Love, Say Goodbye). LB's "electric solos" are great (e.g. ISA, Come, TITN, Murrow) but they're nothing special (and I'm talking purely technically here, not emotionally) when compared to the solos of others, and don't really merit a very high position on such lists.

Last edited by seteca; 06-04-2003 at 09:57 AM..