View Single Post
Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by becca View Post
I remember being startled to find out Time existed, probably almost two years after it's release, so I can believe there was no label promotion of it, it just silently started turning up in some overstock catalogs and lists.
I can't remember how I spotted it. I guess I saw it in the Fleetwood Mac bin at the record store in 1995. There was no mention of an album at the band's concert in 1994 I attended, & I wasn't really a keen fan scoping out the magazines & newspapers at that point anyway. My senses had been dulled by the poor performances on the tail end of the 1990 tour, the 1991 solo tour, & even the 1993 TV appearance. It wasn't until I went to the Arco Arena show on the STREET ANGEL tour that I felt rejuvenated enough to seek out other fans again to see what they were up to. Mick also did some interesting things around that time, like drum for the Big Town Playboys, a jump-jazz outfit from Britain. They even appeared with Mick on the Tonight Show.

Quote:
I like early Dave Mason a lot and am sorry to read about him being abrasive or whatnot, I will still try to enjoy the music. It sounds like he and Mick should've done some kind of project on their own without Christine or the Mac title to it, that may even have been more commercial like those Plant/Page releases that did quite well without a Led Zeppelin name.
I've never seen anyone more unconnected to & uninterested in what was happening onstage -- not even Stevie on the 1990 tour -- than Dave Mason in the gigs he did with Fleetwood Mac that I caught in '94 & '95. When the band would launch itself into a Mac classic, like "The Chain" or "Go Your Own Way," the look of disgusted boredom on Mason's face was palpable. He was a total turnoff. Billy Burnette & Bekka Bramlett were game, & tried their best to reinject energy, but the whole effect on me was of seeing an FM cover band in which certain members were only waiting for the check from the house.