View Single Post
Old 12-13-2016, 09:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaContestant View Post
You know, the thing is - it doesn't matter to any of you why Stevie fans are or aren't bitter, so why bother asking? You don't want to know any legitimate reasons someone might be (or mostly likely not be) bitter about FM, just like us Stevie fans don't really care how bitter you are about Stevie and her lasting solo success and duration in the public eye. Elle is only asking as a basis to continue this forum's ridiculous discussion about how she's supposedly ruining Fleetwood Mac's chances of a swansong album, when this conversation should have been over 18 months ago. It's just another lame excuse to mock her and her fans.

The truth is - it's *you* who are bitter. Bitter because Stevie is more successful, popular, on tour, recording music, and loving her life. Bitter because you know there won't be a Fleetwood Mac album without her, because God, what label would even want to sign them for even a one-off album without her? Might as well just record the loss on the books and move on. By all means - write Lindsey and Mick and beg them to carry on without her. Beg Warner or Reprise or Sony or, hell, beg Jimmy Iovine to sign them to Interscope without her. It's you who are bitter because she doesn't need them - and how ironic that she wasn't even wanted by them, and yet somehow through a karmic twist of fate, it's she who carries on? It's she who by and large brought the masses to the shows. It's her recording albums, even if sparsely, even if you think they aren't any good - they're still for sale. It's she who had their only number one song. It's Rhiannon that propelled Fleetwood Mac from a backwater blues-ish nobody band to the massive stars they became. Bitter because you know it is Stevie who has kept interest in Fleetwood Mac going all these years.

(Disclaimer: I cannot deny that Lindsey, Chris and Stevie made magic together. I *am* a fan of the Nicksian Fleetwood Mac's music, all of them, whether they record an album or not!)

I mean seriously - it's the same pathetic four or five individuals here who have kept these Stevie-bashing topics going for over a year. Don't you have anything better to do with your lives, your time, your energy, than talk scheiße about a nearly 70 year old woman who simply doesn't care what you think about her? Sad, really.

Stevie is the key to Fleetwood Mac and it just eats you up inside, doesn't it?

Well, have fun with that. I'll be over at any of the numerous Stevie Facebook groups, celebrating her tour, her music, her successes, and her vibrant career with the rest of her "bitter" fans.

And Michelle, we all know you're the owner here. These forums have lost so many regular members because of the overwhelming negativity that is The Ledge, but if these are the kinds of discussions you wish to foster, if this is the kind of "fan" board you wish to run, more power to you I guess. I hope you never look at your investment here as a waste.
Just speaking for myself, I'm a huge fan of Fleetwood Mac as a whole, and all of its members. I have no 'bitterness' about anything and certainly not about Stevie's popularity as an individual which I can acknowledge is a key part of what made Fleetwood Mac popular. The word that I think describes my feelings is disappointment. I'm disappointed in Stevie because of the position she's chosen to be in regarding this band. It seems like she doesn't really want to be a band member anymore, which is her right, because Lindsey and Christine experienced that as well. But the thing is, when Lindsey and Christine didn't want to be in the band anymore, they just left. Lindsey even did a big amount work on an album that became very successful and then left after that. Stevie knows that the rest of them want to make a final album to wrap things up and she knows that it would be very awkward to release an album without her, not only because she is their most popular member but also because it would just be a strange thing, after Christine came back and this being the final curtain for the band, how do they explain her not being there? For me at least, I have no problem at all understanding why they would be so hesitant because talk about a very awkward thing. As someone mentioned earlier, it would be like the weirdness of the 90s era of this band. She's leaving them in a weird state of limbo right now and that's not fair I don't think.

And while I agree with you that Stevie's star helped propel the band, I think more than anything, it was all of them together. In the time of Tango, their huge hits were Little Lies and Everywhere. Tango itself was their biggest album since Rumours and Stevie might as well not have been on it. Go Your Own Way is probably their most enduring song ever, I hear it way more than any other song, even if Dreams was the #1. In fact, and this is no attack on you, I think the argument that Stevie had the only band #1 is no longer relevant because they've had PLENTY of other songs become huge. Take a look at Spotify, which is the most popular streaming site around (and to me this is telling, because most people these days use streaming to listen to music) and you'll see that Go Your Own Way has a hell of a lot more streams than Dreams does. I would never deny that Stevie and her persona (for lack of a better word) was essential in getting FM to the top, but Lindsey and Christine and Mick and John were as well. When Stevie's solo career/her 'star' in general had fallen, it was The Dance that revived her (as well as the others).

I mentioned before that the titles of these threads say a lot 'Stevie fans' being pitted against 'Fleetwood Mac fans', even though Stevie is literally a member of Fleetwood Mac. But she's not acting like one and that's causing all the frustration. I of course don't think it's okay at all to be bashing her and I LOVE Stevie, but I really question why some Stevie fans can't just take their blinders off and realize that what she's doing right now is annoying to people and it's no wonder many are mad at her about it.

Last edited by dreamsunwind; 12-13-2016 at 10:01 PM..