View Single Post
Old 02-24-2014, 04:44 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarboSpeaks! View Post
I think I have bought everything by Tori-except that aforementioned Scarlett's Treasure EP-I think I need to hunt that down. I have been SORELY bummed for her releases since ADP. I have only seen her twice, and it was for AATS and ADP. ADP was great fun because it was my first Tori show (many horror stories of trying to see her in past-all resulting in epic fail clusterf**k!) but AATS-even tho there she was before my eyes, she'd break into a AATS song and I wanted to leave. The album, her, the tour all seemed SO dull =( Then there is Hunter & GD-and triple yawn. They do nothing for me (oh yea, I am missing a Tori Xmas'y type album-that just came and went. Is it any good?)
I also agree about her looks. Spooky to be sure. For someone so front and center with female empowerment, all this foofiness seems contrived.
Over the Holidays, you couldn't remove the piano box set from my CD player.
I pre-ordered the album just the other day w/ a promise of pre-sale code for her Oregon date. I don't know if I'll go. I have no one to go with, and FM looms later in the year. Still-I'd be so bummed if this album came full LE circle, and I missed the return of that girl we all fell in love with in 1992....albeit slightly older and wiser
I agree, the Sinful Attraction tour wasn't her best. However, I caught 3 shows on her solo summer 2010 tour and 3 shows on the Night of Hunters tour and both absolutely blew me away. She sounded sooooo fantastic and was clearly having a blast on stage and lots of engaging with the audience. This upcoming tour is a solo tour, so I have no doubt that live, she will rip it up as she has been doing since 2010, regardless of what the album is like.

Her seasonable album, Midwinter Graces, is actually very pleasent. As Tori said "there's no 'She's a Hussy, Merry Christmas' on it", it's all very lush and quite classic in places, but it's lovely to listen to over the festive period. "Night of Hunters" wasn't my thing either - I don't know anything about classical music, so I don't get it really, but I'm reliabley informed that it's very highly thought of in the classical world. "Gold Dust" was SUCH a wasted opportunity. It could have been magnificent reworkings of old songs, but instead she chose songs that all already had strings on their original form, so you don't get anything new? What the heck is the point in that? Imagine songs like "Cruel", "Caught A Lite Sneeze" and "1,000 Oceans" reworked with an orchestra! (NB: she played "Cruel" with the quartet live on the Night of Hunters tour and it was A.MA.ZING!)