View Single Post
Old 03-09-2019, 12:52 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelej1 View Post
The band is famous for their unhappiness with each other. To give that as an excuse for Lindsey‘s ouster is laughable. Stevie even talked about it 30 years ago and said none of them was about to,leave in the wake of the band’s success, even though they were at each other’s throats. They needed him then. When they were still making and selling records they catered to him. Even when records stopped selling they felt they needed him on stage. They battled on, butting heads as they have always done. But need brought leverage, they could threaten to leave the band, to not tour, to keep their masters. They could refuse to record new music, but neither had the power to get rid of the other. Then, when Christine returned and it got to the point where they could put on a “Fleetwood Mac” show without Lindsey they didn’t need him to make money any longer. Mick should just say that.

I myself never anticipated that. Christine’s return would tip the see saw in this manner. In fact, if anything I thought it would make Stevie less powerful than she had been in the foursome. Boy, did I miscalculate.

I remember when Lindsey railed against Big Bad Howard. He had no idea what rough beast was slouching towards him to be born.
Exactly. When has this band ever been happy post-1976? I don't think many people would have been too shocked if FM had broken up after Rumours due to all the drama. But it is kind of a shock now: the band weathered all the emotional travails of their prime years, and they're going to fire a core member now, in their golden years?

I agree that what really kept the band together post-Rumours was chasing pop success. They had to capitalize on that, and they definitely couldn't afford to lose Lindsey in their prime, as he was essentially the creative director of the band. Now that any commercial relevance is behind FM and they're just an oldies touring act, they don't really need Lindsey as much anymore.

He already helped craft their hits, so they can just hire other players to sing his songs and play the guitar parts he created.

Last edited by saniette; 03-09-2019 at 12:56 PM..