Thread: San Diego
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2017, 05:54 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Stevie Nicks 24 Karat Gold Tour, San Diego Viejas Arena
March 2, 2017

Well, it was quite a night! Here are my thoughts…

We got to the venue around an hour before the gates opened. But that was ok because it gave us time to pick up our VIP tickets at the Will Call window without feeling stressed. After we got our tickets, we were just chilling out next to one of the radio station tents set up there. I recognized the DJ, Clint August from 101.5KGB (San Diego’s classic rock station). He and I have gone to a couple sporting events in San Diego. I introduced him to Kim, my wife. Kim told Clint the story of my proposal to her at this same venue in July 2013, when we were on stage with Mick Fleetwood before the Fleetwood Mac show that evening. We talked a little longer about some other things, and then Clint went back to doing his job in the tent. He came back over to us a little later and asked if we wouldn’t mind telling our proposal story LIVE on the air! So, I agreed. Kim wanted me to do all the talking. So, I told the story right into the mic, and Clint ended up getting Kim to say something as well. It was pretty cool!
Soon after that, it was time to go into the venue! We saw a few of our friends and walked in with them. We had 3rd row center seats, so I was looking forward to the “glory walk”, as I call it, to our seats. (Hey – we paid some dough for those after all!) They were perfect – right in front of Stevie’s mic! The stage was a little high, so any closer would’ve been neck-craning. I also noticed they weren’t allowing anyone to the very front unless you were in the front row, which they gave wristbands for.
The Pretenders opened for Stevie Nicks tonight. Chrissie Hynde’s voice hasn’t changed a bit – she sounded awesome. I noticed that her band seemed to be made up of hired musicians – 2 young guitar players, an older, been-in-the-business awhile drummer, and Prince’s keyboardist! When she introduced the keyboardist, I was like, Oh yeah! – They called that guy “The Doctor”! I remembered he used to wear scrubs on stage for his Prince gigs, and even in the Purple Rain movie. They had a great set.
After the Pretenders set was over, I knew we had about a 20-40 minute break while the crew set up for Stevie. I wanted to make a point to say Hi to Mary DeVitto, who is a friend of Stevie’s and is working as part of her tour crew. I found her over to the left of the stage and introduced myself and Kim to her. I didn’t talk to her long, as I didn’t want to keep her, but she was the nicest person. She reminded me of my mom, in a way. A very sweet lady.
Soon enough, the lights went down again and the Missing Persons “Destination Unknown” came on. It was time for Stevie! Waddy and the band came out on stage first and then Stevie walked onto the stage. She opened with “Gold and Braid” and the crowd was immediately into it. After that song, Stevie said she has spent a lot of time in San Diego lately, as her niece lives here now with her new baby. She was here from Dec 19 thru the Christmas holidays. She was surprised how cold it was then. She said she thought it would be more like a “California- Hawaii”. The set list was amazing, and she seemed to really enjoy performing every song – old and new. She talked a lot about each song, which I loved. When she talked about never giving up on your dreams she mentioned that we can all do it, no matter our age. She mentioned you can even get rich and buy a “big-ass house”! Kim and I cracked up at that, and at several other quips of hers throughout the night. Special standout songs for me: Gypsy, If You Were My Love, and OMG – Moonlight! During Gypsy, we waved back at Stevie when she waves and sings the verse, “you say hey, baby” and Stevie smiled at us. It’s always so surreal when she sings right to you. It about brings me into another weird universe or something….anyway.
If You Were My Love – one of my favorites from the 24k album. I loved that song at first listen. Moonlight was like a religious experience with the new live arrangement. I teared up during it. It was truly amazing. That song is my very favorite from the In Your Dreams album. It has several special meanings and memories for me. Stevie mentioned after she performed it that it is her favorite song. I took some pretty darn good photos and a couple video clips. I’ve posted a few on my Instagram account - @jkmaletic.
After the show ended, Stevie thanked us for being such a great audience, as she often does. But she added more to it this time, saying, “If I could take a photo of you all and put it in my journal tonight, I would.” She was very sincere too – I saw it in her face. She said they feed off of what the audience gives them and then they give it right back. She said we were awesome and that she meant it. Dang near made me tear up again. I asked one of my friends, who has gone to several shows this tour about the “taking a photo” of us comment and she said she hadn’t heard her say that before. I hope a video surfaces of her closing comments. Another thing I noticed - there were 3 mics on the stage facing out toward the audience. A friend of mine said she hadn't seen mics at other shows. I know that's usually done for taping purposes - I hope so anyway!
Oh, Stevie also mentioned that she had a friend in San Diego named “Jamie” – was she talking about ME??!!
LOL.

Jamie