View Single Post
Old 01-10-2019, 10:35 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Scarrott View Post
I have to agree with this, it's got a fantastic bassline from John, some prominent drumming from Mick, and has, at least to my ears some kind of mixed 70s/80s veneer to it. It's a pity Stevie didn't write it, though.
She co-wrote it.

Quote:
I'm obviously in a minority here but I really like the SYW version of Smile at You. There's few Tango touches to it that might have struck a chord with a wider audience.
I'm with you. I love it, including all the bells and whistles.

Quote:
I'm also going to give a shout out to Say Goodbye , only partly because I enjoy murdering it on the guitar. It's Lindsey's most beautiful song on the album, notwithstanding that weird throat-clearing noise he makes somewhere near its start. Whilst it's maybe not an obvious choice for a single, more people need to have heard it. I can mentally imagine it on all sorts of soundtracks and adverts....
Great song, but I think Lindsey sped it up too much. They should have just re-cut it in the fashion of the live performances.

Quote:
I'm with the majority of you over the single choices they did make. Say You Will is bland; Peacekeeper is a dirge. I've put together a 10 hour playlist of 150+ Mac songs from all eras, and neither of them make it onto it so that's a good indicator of my regard for them. The fact that the band couldn't be bothered to make proper videos for the songs, just live performances speaks volumes.
I skip three songs on the album: "Say You Will," "Peacekeeper," and "Silver Girl." The problem, as I see it, is that when they had the pick of Stevie's back catalog, they could pick all great songs. But as soon as she walked in with those four new songs, only two of which were any good, they were stuck with two bad songs – because politically they couldn't tell her they weren't good enough. This is where having a producer from outside the group to say "no" (the single most important word for a record producer) would have helped.

Quote:
Still, taken in its entirety, I really like the album, warts and all.
Me too. I think it's one notch (maybe two) below masterpiece level.

Last edited by cbBen; 01-10-2019 at 10:46 AM..