View Single Post
Old 01-19-2003, 06:45 AM
Ledgie

Post The concert

I expected to witness a historical event, I guess: watching Peter Green playing live (in my own country!).
Just before the members of the PGSG arrived on stage, some people said: as long as he moves, I am satisfied allready, I don't care if he plays or not. I didn't know what to expect, but what we got was a great concert! Intimate atmosphere, great music. It really rocked!
Peter Green seemed lost, though. I know I can't compare it to other shows, but he seemed to live in his own small world-on-stage. I stood in the front row, just 1 metre in front of him (which was really great!), but I know he never actually SAW me, if you know what I mean. His focus was smaller than that. And sometimes he didn't know what to do or where to go, and Nigel had to accompany him.
He used 3 guitars, a green, an orange and a dark one, I think you'll know which ones I mean. But during the first part of the show, he pulled and turned the buttons more than he touched the strings. And at moments he touched the strings, you couldn't hear him playing. Which IMO was not due to bad acoustics, but to Peter's condition.
The second part of the concert was really great. They played the old classics and Peter enjoyed himself more and more. He smiled a lot! He even did some guitar solos and he did them well. The Green Manalishi sounded almost like the original, and Peter did both guitar and vocals himself. He had a very clear moment when he told us: this is not about the dollar, but about the euro!
When they played Man Of The World instrumental, you might have heard a pin drop. I expected the audience to sing along with the music, but was happy to hear that no one did. In a way, it was too tragic.

So I expected an historical event and got a great concert. Next time, I'll be there again! If there will be a next time...

No, I haven't spoken to Peter and Nigel, but I saw them in the café talking to some people. Peter seemed so lost, he didn't notice anyone, I really didn't want to bother him.

I have some great pictures!

Anna