View Single Post
Old 11-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskisn View Post
The interesting thing about the Christine fans (and yes you can be a Stevie/Lindsey/Christine fan all at once) is that they tend to be a bit less, dare I say, one-eyed about her music.

Take a look at the Ledge, there are ten times the threads in the Stevie forums than the Christine one, perhaps she has ten times as many fans or perhaps Stevie fans are just a little bit more passionate (read obsessed) about her. People admire Christine for her art, and obsess over Stevie for her image. At least that is how I see it.

Look, I love Stevie, so don't get me wrong, but I have always preferred to stand back and view the band as a whole rather than placing the spotlight on one member. At least fourteen of the sixteen members owe the majority of their success to being in FM (you can argue that both Billy and Dave M had a long and illustrious solo career prior to FM).

I prefer to see Time as being an extension of what is Fleetwood Mac. Personally I never really wanted the reunion, except for the fact that it gave me a chance to see Stevie & Lindsey live. Fleetwood Mac should have moved on to the future rather than looking at the past. Hopefully once Miss Nicks and Mr Buckingham have left again, we can move on to a new era.

I agree that fans who greatly favor Stevie tend toward seeing their love of her
as a 'lifestyle' more than just a musical enjoyment. I like Stevie as well, but not as much as I like some other members of FMac. I also focus on the band as a whole, not just placing one person as the stand out or star. If I had never been a fan of Fleetwood Mac and had heard Time with no prior knowledge of any FMac music, I would have thought it was a fine album. But, as I think some others here have tried to say, if you listen to FMac, you have a certain expectation of what an album by them should sound like, and for most fans Time did not meet that expectation.

I am overall glad that there was a Fleetwood Mac reunion. Like you, I was able to see them together live because of it. If I really had my way though, the best reunion would be with Lindsey and Christine (with Bob Welch added!) As for Stevie, well, a Mac with Lindsey and without Stevie would be a concept not yet explored, so I for one would like to see how it would be.