View Single Post
Old 08-06-2009, 05:10 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I think Anderson died around the 5th, & the band postponed about a week's worth of shows (the reason given at the box office in Inglewood was "walking pneumonia") but then started playing shows on the 12th or 13th, including Baton Rouge, Denver, Memphis, Irvine, & so on. Irvine on the 18th was the City of Hope benefit specifically planned as a tribute to her (but scheduled before she died).

Several of those shows are on tape, so you can hear them. Stevie isn't any different from earlier in the tour, really. Not to my ears. I mean, if someone had told me her best friend had died the day before the US Festival (way back in early September), I'd have believed it. It would have been plausible, given Stevie's gin-soaked singing. There was a lot of what seems to have been emotional pain in that singing, the entire tour, & the beautiful vocal tic Stevie had developed of dropping a yelp by a third or a perfect fourth was carried forward into the Wild Heart tour the next year.

The final remnants of that interval-descending yelp were heard sporadically on the 1986 tour, but that was the last of it.
Thanks for all that info, David. Much appreciated!