View Single Post
Old 04-20-2002, 11:49 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Default Re: Re: "Rhiannon" live these days

Quote:
Originally posted by seteca

I agree that it's annoying to hear words which used to stretch out forever being cut short and taken down an octave, but the thing is, nowadays when Stevie sings Rhiannon (etc), it's almost like a matured, serene version in tribute to the "screaming" versions of '75 & '77. So sure, it doesn't rock like it used to, but it's still Stevie's song...

I still love to hear/see Rhiannon live~it's still amazing to see Stevie open her arms with her gorgeous batwing sleeves and do a slow spin or two. For the most part, her performances are still quite beautiful and the song still rocks, though in a different way. I hardly mind the serene, matured tribute version at all, except for one thing.
What I DO mind is what I think Seteca might be referring to when he talks about words being cut short. I noticed this at this year's AHI benefit in particular. During the screaming part, I noticed that Stevie pulls her head back away from the microphone when she's doing some of the screaming part resulting in the sound of the words being completely cut off. If you listen to the bootleg from the show you can hear what I'm talking about.
When she starts to sing the the third and fourth "Dreams unwind and still it's hard to find/ a state of mind" and the second "Take me like the wind," the beginning of the phrase is cut off because she is either not actually singing it or she is too far from the mike to be heard.
She must be doing this on purpose because she doesn't want to strain her voice by hitting those higher, more intense notes or maybe because she's afraid she won't be able to hit them? I don't know. What I don't like is that it seemed like she was trying to be sneaky and fool us into thinking she was singing those notes! lol
I saw her a bunch of times during the TISL tour and don't remember her doing it as obviously as at AHI. Did anyone else notice this at any of the recent shows?

ps: I think she can still sing those parts just fine, really, because she does the rest of the show beautifully, though the beginning of the Edge of 17 scream disappears in the same way...Head back, looking like she's singing with all her might, but silence! Then she leans into it and the scream is there in all its glory.