View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 05:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
I've been making that point for over ten years. Combined, at the time, I think Out Of The Cradle, Street Angel, and Time sold 350K copies. It's hard to place the blame of Time's lack of success on Stevie or Lindsey not being there. The Rumours band not only needed each other for some semblance of commercial success, they also needed the support of the record company and the media, which they got with The Dance. Without that, even if they had recorded one album at that time, it would probably still have tanked by Fleetwood Mac standards. And, Behind The Mask and SYW were about the same in sales, so I have a real hard time saying that Stevie, Lindsey, or Christine are individual saviors of Fleetwood Mac., that without them, Fleetwood Mac might as well pack them in.
I didn't include album sales in my argument, because following Tango, the Mac (and it's solo members) had ceased being an album selling enterprise. They'd aged out of that game. And that would have been the case regardless of whoever was in the band. Concert sales obviously, are another story. The Behind The Mask and Say You Will tours were both pretty successful ventures, despite their backing lackluster selling albums. The Time tour? Not so much. Some of that could certainly be attributed to the times... Fleetwood Mac were about the most uncool band in the market during the reign of Pearl Jam and Nirvana. And the public also loves to tear celebs down so they can simply build them back up. In that case, you could argue ANYTHING the band did in '95 would have flopped. But could the band have succeeded had it continued on past '95 without Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham? I just don't think so.