View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 04:58 PM
Addicted Ledgie
Supporting Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD View Post
THAT REMINDS ME...Billy Burnette WAS going to be on the tour even if Lindsey had stayed. During the interviews at the time, Mick stated that Lindsey wanted another guitarist. Which was especially easy for me to believe a few years later, when I saw him with four other guitarists, three percussionists, a keyboardist, and a bassist backing him up. (Sadly, that's not an exaggeration.) Lindsey can make that snotty comment all he wants. Fleetwood Mac went on with six musicians in 1995 and ten musicians in 1997. and in 2003. Using his logic, the band was better in 1995.
Very interesting... I'd never heard Burnette was to be hired even before Lindsey left. I wonder what caused the fundamental change where Fleetwood Mac went from a strictly 5 piece band, to wanting to add more musicians? Was it an insecurity thing? Was Lindsey wanting to help cover up degrading vocals and energy in an aging rock band? Was he getting bored and simply wanted a muse to bounce ideas off of? Did he want some of the pressure and heat taken off of him to be the sole guitarist and self appointed crafter of the band's sound? For Lindsey to be so anti-establishment, his wanting to surround himself with an army of musicians sure doesn't add up. I will absolutely give you that the band is better, much better, without them. I wish the band were still simply touring with only the core members... except I'd allot a keyboard player to them.