View Single Post
Old 02-18-2017, 01:07 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I guess my unpopular opinion is that Stevie doesn't owe fans anything other than to be polite if you meet her in person. I think it's wonderful that she is doing what she wants to do at this stage of her life, just like Christine got to do what she wanted to do when she took off for all those years, and like Lindsey did what he wanted when he took off after Tango in the Night. I would love more solo music and more FM music but it has to be on Stevie's terms. I disagree that she is not creative...her "public" creativity is just shifting right now from writing new music to focusing on her performing. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Many performers don't write their own music, including "classic" rock stars, not just the current pop singers. I have seen Stevie perform live in 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014 and 2016 and I think she is better every time, so something is working. She had more energy in the 2016 show that I have ever seen, and I am thrilled for her and hope this next leg is even more successful.

I say "public" creativity because we actually don't know what she is doing writing wise...we know she wrote Games of Thrones poetry after her mother died and she must not be ready to turn these poems into music and share them with the world. I work with novelists, memoirists, biographers, and playwrights in my day job and the creative process is different for every person. As fans we can disagree and/or be disappointed, but at the end of the day the artists call the shots. No one is forcing us to buy their music/books or attend their shows, so both "sides" have some "power."