View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 05:57 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
Do you know what's good for your legacy as a HUMAN BEING? Being LOYAL to people you've worked with for 43 years.
Like leaving the band less than eight weeks before a tour?

Quote:
Having a spine, and standing up for what's right.
Or, Lindsey could have just waited to do his solo stuff.

Quote:
WHY TF does John need with a bigger paycheck????? He's survived cancer, and lort only knows how many years he has left.
Wants to make sure his daughter is set for life? And, how is his finances anyone’s business?

I mean, it’s laughable that you’d think John would take that kind of financial hit for Lindsey. They’re a corporate rock band, not some buddy-buddy gang.

Quote:
And the Peter Green years have NOTHING to do with where they were in 1974.
Without Peter Green, they wouldn’t have been on Warner-Reprise. The Bob Welch band wouldn’t have gotten signed to the label. However, they did well enough not to get dropped.

Quote:
They were going NOWHERE. A minor hit, and milking it by earning minimal money. Big f*cking deal.
They had sold at least two million albums by the time Stevie and Lindsey joined. To put that in context, Wilco has only sold about three million albums in 25 years. They had viable careers, they just weren’t megastars. They were certainly bigger than most of today’s legacy indie rock bands that have been around for decades.

Quote:
They all had a debt....an eternal debt to Lindsey, and they welched(no pun intended) on a debt owed.
Please, he owes them, too. Without the labors of John McVie during the Bluesbreakers, without Peter Green forming the band, without the songs that were big enough to land them on Warner-Reprise, and without all of the sweat equity from the constant touring and recording from 1967-74, there wouldn’t have been a viable band for Stevie and Lindsey to join in the first place.

Furthermore, Lindsey didn’t have the musical vocabulary on his own to make the albums they made. He couldn’t make legendary albums without the core trio. Christine had been writing hook and harmony laden pop gems before 1975 that were on par with anything she did after 1975. Lindsey and Stevie improved upon the harmonies, but the songs weren’t radically different. However, comparing the live Buckingham Nicks “Rhiannon” to the live fall, 1975 Fleetwood Mac “Rhiannon” is a bit more stark. One sounded like any random bar band, the other was a rock legend. And, I hear the blues in the Mac version (weirdly, I hear “No Road Is The Right Road” on the Fleetwood Mac version).

So, from my perspective, Lindsey owes them a debt of gratitude. He was going nowhere when they basically rescued Buckingham Nicks.

THE Stephen Hopkins