View Single Post
Old 09-15-2005, 04:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlie
IMO, this was the best live version of GYOW I've ever heard.
That's a step to far for me, Karlie, but it is definately a version of the song's own mirrorside.The liveversions we know all lean on LB's electric guitarriffs together with Mick and John's incredible energy rythmicly. But the acoustic "counterpart" was an invention that was put in late when he was recording it.(correct me if I'm wrong). Ray Lindsey played it fantastic for years, but the focus was on the Turner-parts.

this version leans on the "counterpart". It sounds full of energy and those guitars seem to have a ball together. Therefore it does not have the rockfeel the otherones had, but a folky sweat-swing, that with his aged vocal sounds a little more upbeat-bittersweet and a little less bitter-but-up. I think the male vocals are a relief for the song. I don't miss Stevie here because she BELONGS to the more rocking liveversions. No problem there, because she can't escape or be sent out of that song anyway; she's in it, even if Giulio Iglesias sang it.

The electric lines he plays are gorgeously grainy. I love it.

PS (Not meant for you, Karlie):

don't smoke alone, David. Pass it......Now!

Last edited by shackin'up; 09-15-2005 at 04:43 PM..