View Single Post
Old 08-12-2002, 03:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

In regards to Lindsey's guitar solos, none are extraordinarily flashy, nor technically intricate. In particular, "The Chain"...hell, he plays one friggin' note til it fades...nothing spectacular about that...even a total novice guitar player with a bit of an ear can play that solo. "Go Your Own Way"'s fade out solo is a mix of multiple solos faded in & out by Ken Caillat to make the "signature" solo that we all know & love...the solos that are on the list are "one pass" solos, one guitar part from beginning to end, not a patchwork of multiple takes blended to make one solo.

Actually, I DO find the studio solo on "I'm So Afraid" to be much more intense than any live version...why? you ask? Because he has a shorter time to reach the climax than he does on the live versions.

My favorite "solo" is Martin Barre's solo on the original studio version of Jethro Tull's "Aqualung". Just amazing. I read a bit in a guitar magazine a few months ago where Martin said that as he was out in the studio just about to play the solo, Jimmy Page walked into the control room and watched intently. Martin's solo was FIRST take. They'd done a couple of subsequent takes, but it's the first one that they used.