View Single Post
Old 08-11-2002, 08:04 PM
Addicted Ledgie

This top 100 guitarists thing is, as usual, totally different than any one person would agree with. Some REALLY strange choices and positions on this one though.

I've got to say I think James Marshall Hendrix is probably the most influential and innovative guitarist ever, does this make him the greatest guitarist? Probably, but not top on my list.

I'd have to say, the players that have influenced ME the most are :-

Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler
Slash
Lindsey Buckingham
Peter Green
Jimi Hendrix
George Harrison

Technically, Knopfler and Buckingham are for me, the best. Emotionally, Peter and Eric are my "best" they ooze emotion, as do Harrison and Knopfler. Slash has the most amazing speed and fluidity I've ever seen plus he is the "coolest" of the bunch with the best stage aura.

All of the above have their own "tone". Listen to a song and you can just tell who it is. So distinctive.

Overall EC has to be top of my list. As much as I love the others, I really do, they don't call him "God" for nothing. He's played with them all, been around for ever (for me) and been to hell and back. Everything he plays live is quite outstanding and just when you think he's faded from the scene, he's back with something fresh. Total Genius.

Mark Knopfler even decided to play for him on a tour because of the stature of the man, even Jimi was in awe of him in the 60's.

But then Eric himself openly bows to Peter Green!