View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 09:34 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I agree with David. From 1987 to last year, the two guitarist thing was just a slogan, empty of actual meaning. Neither Rick nor Billy nor Dave (Mason) nor Mike was specifically hired to robotically duplicate Lindsey either as guitarist or as a singer. [B]They were all hired to play guitar and sing. That involved learning the Fleetwood catalogue and trying to play the recognizable parts recognizably, but not slavishly parroting every single subtle lick on the original OR using the same gear. I think all these guitarists were encouraged to be themselves — but to recognize that they were now part of a hugely popular band with a massive audience
yes! to have a single guitarist replace LB, they would need someone like Keith Urban who can both play a great guitar and sing well - and be able to improvise in the spirit of actual songs. so yeah, there are definitely a few people like that out there, just last year's hires were not it. Campbell may be a great guitarist and hugely successful songwriter but his guitar style is nothing like Lindsey's and that showed in a few clips i've seen, he was just not in the spirit of those FM songs even though he tried. we knew in February 2018 he was gonna join FM as LB's replacement, supposedly both as guitarist and singer, but they must have quickly figured out that's not gonna work out and started looking for another guitarist but mainly for a singer.

if you watch Urban playing SHN at Musicares, but even more at Nashville NYE where it was more spontaneous and loose, not only can he play the guitar and sing the song well, but even when he's improvising his guitar playing is in the spirit of Lindsey's song and playing. even with repeating the "I ain't gonna miss you when you go" verse and the chorus and adding a whole new guitar solo in between, it was still completely in the LB spirit of playing.

"kind of weird: a tribute to the dearly departed from a band that can treat its living like trash"