View Single Post
Old 04-26-2011, 05:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jellyman10 View Post
I agree it's mysterious, but it's something SN has alluded to many times - the fact that they simply cannot have a healthy relationship, no matter how much they might want each other.

I think, in the past, around the time of the final split, it was definitely related to possessiveness and lack of appreciation/respect on LB's part. (I also personally believe he was violent to her, or came close enough to it to scare her, but I know that's controversial.) Latterly, post-The Dance and SYW, perhaps it's a combination of too much baggage and their fundamentally incongruous personalities? I mean, constantly trying to avoid stepping on mines or inadvertently pushing each other's buttons gets exhausting real fast at any age, much less something you want to bother with in your senior years. My guess is they know by now that that's never going to change, or improve to the point where they can be each other's best match, so it's better to be with other people (or no one) and preserve the fragile rapprochement that they've achieved now, rather than pushing further and ending up with even less.
Ok, I can see that. Interesting though. So, is everybody back-pedaling on the time frame now? I know a lot of people still held to the 1976 break-up- and-that-was-it theory. Surely, we're not saying a 61 year old family man is still pining over her when they only had a sporadic, work-related only relationship for 35 years?