View Single Post
Old 02-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleuzzi View Post
No confusion. The story of a The Chain's inception has been well-documented.

I must flatly disagree with you that this unfinished version of Keep Me There is "barely recognizable" as a precursor to The Chain. Much of the background music on the bridge and choruses is identical. The instrumentation for the verses was reworked, but even then the roots to the original are readily apparent.
^Yes. the whole second half of The Chain is directly from Keep Me There…from John's bass solo until the end of the song is straight from Keep Me There.

In the first half of the song the chorus "if you don't love me now…" until "never break the chain" is from Stevie.

Lindsey wrote the verses "listen to the wind blow" up to "and if you don't love me now"

I think John and Mick got writing credit because they helped write the music on that second half from Keep Me There, i.e. john wrote his bass solo which is a highlight of the song and Mick…. not entirely sure what he did on this that would be different from what he does on every other song…..

Lindsey was the one who heard these two songs, from Stevie and Christine, and had the idea that if they took this bit from Stevie and that bit from Chris it would make a better, new song.

My recollection is that they really like that second half of Chris's song, the part that became the whole second half of The Chain, but wanted something different to lead into it. That's when Lindsey thought of Stevie's song, he like the chorus but not her verses, and asked her if they could use it and she said, "well you are killing my song because you are taking the chorus out of it" but it worked so they did it, and kept her title. He then wrote the verses in.

Last edited by bombaysaffires; 02-06-2015 at 11:54 PM..