View Single Post
Old 10-05-2018, 12:29 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchChain View Post
I understand that Chris' hands cannot tickle the ivories like she used to---at 75, none of us will be able to do what we once did.
The idea that Christine can't play piano at all anymore is becoming a meme, and it's been way overstated. I hope I didn't add to that perception because it was never what I meant. Your statement here is the fact on the ground. She still plays—she just doesn't play as much or as flexibly. She blues solos a bit on Black Magic Woman during the concert, even though it's subdued and carries a hint of aching joints. (Whether they actually ache is beside the point—she now plays as if it hurt a bit to play.)

Quote:
A Fleetwood Mac show should be closed with "Songbird".

Moreover, to replace the traditional "Songbird" show closer with a song from an obscure lackluster album such as "Time" is a bad decision.
It's a tradition, sure. But this band, despite its recent reputation for being stolid in its live shows, has certainly demolished many traditions by swapping out members. We've all talked about how this band feels like a different band, so dumping Songbird feels like just another small casualty of changing times. Besides, for my part, I'm all for wrenching traditions out like rotten teeth. I like going "WHOA" at concerts. I hate listening to Rhiannon at concerts.

Why keep competing with your younger, more energetic, more capable selves? Why not play to your strengths now—whatever they are? (I guess you'd have to identify them first.)

moviekinks.blogspot.com