View Single Post
Old 10-19-2007, 10:42 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Fighting foh the Nohthun Stah...NO SPEED LIMIT! BITCH! THIS IS THE FAST LANE!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombaySapphire3 View Post
Well Joan did sacrifice her glamour in one film ..A Woman's Face" in 1941 and it is one of her best ..Davis incidently cited it as the only Crawford film she envied ..That book The Divine Fued is full of absurd inaccuarcies BTW but entertaining nonetheless .I'm glad you expounded on these women and their drive for stardom ..it reminds me of an interview that La Nicks did for US magazine in 1989 where she stated that 10 or 12 years earlier that if she had really sold herself and her sexuality and image they way Madonna had that she could have been a much bigger star and richer than she was .The problem I had with that is that I don't believe Nicks ever had 1/10 of Madonna 's self promotion and media maniplulating talent down and there was no MTV then so short of replacing Farah in Charlie's Angels it's hard to imagine how she could have gotten the same mass exposure then.God knows she handily beat Madonna in both looks and talent in the mid 1970s, but the interview was 1989 so maybe it was just the Klonopin talking.
Ah, I just don't think La Nicks had 1/10 of a willingness to change all that she thought was good about herself or music to promote herself in any false way.
But I do think she had all that drive, and even a talent for media manipulation. She just did it on her own terms. Which, rightly, weren't exactly the same terms as Madonna. And she did beat out in looks and talent, so...I think Stevie has every bit of media savvy as Madonna, but used it in support of her belief in music, rather than solely using it's power as imagery only.

So, basically, I think that Stevie wouldn't change her image or music unless she felt like it, I DO think she had the special gift for self promotion that Madonna had. She just didn't cater it to other tastes, she catered to promoting what she did, which was unlike other things. And she didn't, in the end, hold self promotion above the music.
One of the things I admire most about Stevie is her tireless publicity and touring behind her product. But for real. Not in the Madonna sense.

In my mind, she (Stevie) promoted her ass off, every time, every album, every tour - but she did so as what she always was before, or what she was now, not as anything more or less current, she promoted the work for what the work was - not the image of the work, not what the publicity said about the work, not about what the VIDEO said about the work. To her, the work was the work, the actual music.

Stevie promoted the **** out of herself and her band, for what it actually was, a huge talent, not as what someone said would sell the best right then, not as just promotion in itself, but promotion for a work of art that she believed in the value of. Besides its sellability. My thing about Stevie is that she can straddle the line of working for great results, with regular publicity bull****, but always the product is foremost in her mind.

So like, in my head, Stevie and her artistic integrity are Bette, and Madonna is Joan...
To put it very simplistically.
Gosh, I hope that made sense. If it didn't...well, well, I don't think you do!!!!

Whehyll I can do EHYT!! Wehyll I can make it WAHN moh thihme! (wheyllit'sA reayllongwaytogooo! To say goodbhiiy!) -