View Single Post
Old 01-29-2011, 11:07 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
First, thanks for maintaining The Ledge.
The thread can easily be ignored yes, but it's bad when incorrect or offensive information is collected. Or links to illegal downloads. It amounts to little more then a "spam" thread.
Yes, thanks to The Penguin for keeping this site going, and for the MacNuggets explanation.

I agree with dino here - we do need to be more careful about what gets reposted from various sources on the web, both in this thread and in other ones. I want to take his comment a little further too. While there's no harm in presenting most of the bits and pieces of info that are reposted on this thread, spreading untrue information can be harmful. As people who are supposed to care about the band and its members, we should take greater care in seeing that this does not continue to happen, as with the "Peter Green fired a pistol in the direction of a delivery boy" post." If such a post is accompanied by a comment from whoever posts it that it's an example of these types of false rumors - or even just a note questioning whether such a claim is true or not - that's one thing. But to present it as fact, without such a comment or critique, serves only to further spread misinformation.

By analogy, there are plenty of crazy claims around the web that Stevie Nicks is a witch, yet I don't see those being reposted without comment on the Rumours MacNuggets thread - I found few posted at all, and those that I found were explicitly being held up for deserved ridicule. So why should we allow different treatment for pre-Rumours band members? Are they considered lesser members and not deserving of the same respect as Rumours-era members?

In this particular case, a number of people stepped in to set the record straight, but we can't always count on that happening. We all just need to be more respectful of all Fleetwood Mac members and see that we don't spread harmful and false information about them.