Thread: NME article
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 12:58 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
I fail to understand how ANYONE can call "Whippin' Post" & "You Don't Love Me" ...st-st-st-stale (?!?!?!). Same with the 40+ minute "Mountain Jam" from the Fillmore Concerts reissue (identical track as the one on Eat A Peach) For me, those 20+ minutes go by like they're barely 5 minutes. (Granted, same thing with the Boston Tea Party versions of "Rattlesnake Shake", too).
I was aware of "Mountain Jam" from the "Fillmore Concerts". Since that came from "Eat a Peach", I left it alone, and it's better than Whippin' Post, and You Don't Love Me/Soul Serenade by many miles.

I don't want to get technical, but the Allmans' (when Duane was alive) had a tendency to get "stuck in a rut" with their solos. This is sacrilege I know, but Derek Trucks, and Warren Haynes are doing the '69-'71 Allmans today in the 2.0 version, and I love it! In fact I saw the Allmans in '89, and many say that Haynes doing Duane Allman, with a sober Dickey Betts maybe one of the best line-ups ever.

Quote:
I'm one of those who think that HAD Peter found a way to stay and Fleetwood Mac released a double live album from those Boston shows in '70, they would've, dare I say, "ruled the world"...we'd be asking "Led Zeppelin, who?" (but, then, we'll never know where the Allman Bros would've gone had Duane Allman & Berry Oakley lived, either....plus, Hendrix, Janis, Morrison, etc, we just lost too many great ones too soon)
You get my original point with Fleetwood Mac! If the Boston shows were released in their period of time (instead of 1985 on LP), it would've changed everything for the band. What scared Peter Green was that the entire summer of 1970 was supposed to be another four month U.S. tour, and he didn't want to do it. If he had the stamina to pull it off, I could almost guarantee, that we would've never had that self titled album with the witch from CA, and that other album called Rumours. They were THAT close to greatness.

Quote:

Cream never put out a real live album while they were together...just live tracks mixed with studio tracks for their last two albums. The two live albums they DID release were well after they'd broken up...so I don't really count those, since they're mish-mash from different shows, not all from one concert or series of shows within 24-48 hours. But, if they had, they'd be up there!

Yeah, I like the Domino's' Fillmore set, too...but, I prefer a couple of track choices from the In Concert album better...for example, "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad?"...the In Concert version is far superior to the version from the Fillmore set...can't recall off the top of my head, but it's from either the evening show on the same day, or the next night. I think "Let It Rain" & "Tell The Truth" are also from different shows between the two sets, but for the most part, the Fillmore set is just an expanded version of In Concert.
Those Cream Live I and II are horrible. It explains why the band broke up on a few levels. Towards the end the band was just on an ego trip, mainly Bruce vs. ham hands Ginger Baker. Ginger's ego is so off the charts even today, he can't get over that Keith Moon was a better drummer in his prime. Filming a documentary for the RAH 2005 concerts, he can help but to knock The Who because they weren't playing "refined" blues rock music. IMHO Ginger Baker, and Neil Peart are examples of overrated drummers of their time.

I should check out the original "In Concert" for the Dominoes.