View Single Post
Old 08-30-2017, 09:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicepace View Post
The word I am going to use for 'In the Meantime' is authentic. I'll go with commercial for the 1984 album.

That doesn't mean I don't like the 1984 album. I love it! "One in a Million" is one of my favorite songs, ever, by anyone.

But the whole LP doesn't have the immediacy of 'In the Meantime.'

Didn't someone post once that Chris had had a short-lived romance during those years in England (with a schoolteacher) and that was what inspired ITM? Or am I just imagining that?
Yes, Christine was pretty pissed when she began writing those songs. In interviews she noted the caustic, angry tone of some of them. The album charts her initial excitement ("You Are") and sexual delight ("Anything is Possible") as it transitions to disillusionment, anger ("Liar, Calumny," "Bad Journey") and sarcasm ("Sweet Revenge, "So Sincere"). Finally, in the last two songs, she accepts the loss and leans towards forgiveness and openness. Although she didn't write "Calumny" the song fits her scheme for the album beautifully.

I agree that ITM is an authentic work, one born from a genuine need to communicate and heal.

I wish the 1984 album had more songs like "Smile I Live For." And "One in a Million" is simply great.