View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 05:28 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macfan4life View Post
You are so right IMHO. I would LOVE to ask Chris this or Mick if he would tell the truth. I totally get Billy Burnette being asked to join. He knew everyone and worked with Mick Fleetwood's Zoo, Christine McVie, and I think even worked with Stevie. A good guitar player and loyal to the band. I know Rick Vito's credentials are very long and good. I just missed the connection to Fleetwood Mac. As you point out, Todd Sharp was sort of like Billy Burnette in a sense he worked with the members and former members. Could it be that in the late 80's is when Mick and Bob Welsh started to have issues and Todd was too closely associated with Bob? I cant imagine Chris not lobbying for Todd. You are also right (damn you are so good) to point out Todd Sharp released his solo album in 1986 and Christine sang on 2 songs. Plus he does a cover of his own song he gave to Christine (I'm the one).
We may never know why those who got the call did and others did not. Billy was already playing Mac tunes live with Mick and Chris. I probably just don't know the Rick Vito connection.
BTW... I was reading an article about Bob Welsh's funeral and Todd Sharp was quoted about playing with him and playing at Cal Jam when they opened up the entire event. When I saw the video on youtube with Stevie singing with Bob's band (Ebony Eyes), I could not make out Todd. But the guitar player was so young....was that him?
(Sorry, OCD kicking in...it's WELCH. )

At CalJam2, yeah, that was Todd...he looked about 14 then!

Well, Rick Vito's resume pretty much got him in Fleetwood Mac. He also is an alum of John Mayall's Bluesbreakers & was in the band around the time that John McVie had sat in with Mayall at a few gigs during Fleetwood Mac's down times (late '70s); and remember that even John McVie returned to the Bluesbreakers himself for a spell before the Mirage sessions started up. Another "family tree" link for Rick was that he was in Jackson Browne's band when Russ Kunkel was the drummer...Russ, of course, worked a lot with Stevie early in her solo career...plus, later one both Rick & Russ were reunited in Stevie's Street Angel tour band. Rick had always been just a degree or two outside the Fleetwood Mac circle prior to his joining...he was in Thunderbyrd with Roger McGuinn in '77 when they had recorded Tom Petty's "American Girl"...McGuinn was always a big influence on Tom, & from hearing a live recording of Thunderbyrd in concert, Rick just tore it up. So, Tom may have put the bug in somebody's ear regarding the guitar virtuosity of Rick Vito back that early, as well.

At the time Billy was asked to join, Billy & Rick were working on an album together, as well as doing a session or two for Roy Orbison (which were used on his Mystery Girl album). So, it was just "timing" that got Rick in the band, but he was well worthy of getting the job.