View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiliD View Post
A Billy Burnette song? Hmmm...interesting. Especially since he was working on his own album at the time (even though it wasn't released for another 2 years), I would've thought he'd play one of his OWN songs.

Having seen Todd many times while playing in Bob Welch's band from '77-80, then his being the guitar player on Mick's The Visitor trek in Africa, along with his tenure with Christine's touring band, I'm really surprised that he wasn't given a shot with the big league team (Fleetwood Mac)...not so much in '87, since Billy & Rick were pretty much a team at that point, but I think Todd was a better fit in '94 than Dave Mason, that's for sure. There must've been some sort of falling out between Todd & Mick at some point, or maybe it was due to his association with Bob Welch, and the Welch vs FMac litigation going on around '94 & such, worked against him being considered.
You are so right IMHO. I would LOVE to ask Chris this or Mick if he would tell the truth. I totally get Billy Burnette being asked to join. He knew everyone and worked with Mick Fleetwood's Zoo, Christine McVie, and I think even worked with Stevie. A good guitar player and loyal to the band. I know Rick Vito's credentials are very long and good. I just missed the connection to Fleetwood Mac. As you point out, Todd Sharp was sort of like Billy Burnette in a sense he worked with the members and former members. Could it be that in the late 80's is when Mick and Bob Welsh started to have issues and Todd was too closely associated with Bob? I cant imagine Chris not lobbying for Todd. You are also right (damn you are so good) to point out Todd Sharp released his solo album in 1986 and Christine sang on 2 songs. Plus he does a cover of his own song he gave to Christine (I'm the one).
We may never know why those who got the call did and others did not. Billy was already playing Mac tunes live with Mick and Chris. I probably just don't know the Rick Vito connection.
BTW... I was reading an article about Bob Welsh's funeral and Todd Sharp was quoted about playing with him and playing at Cal Jam when they opened up the entire event. When I saw the video on youtube with Stevie singing with Bob's band (Ebony Eyes), I could not make out Todd. But the guitar player was so young....was that him?

Last edited by Macfan4life; 02-11-2015 at 04:31 PM..