View Single Post
Old 05-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceLover View Post
Stevie is full of crap. She was so out of it she wouldn't even remember. Lindsey, John, Mick, and Christine worked on TITN. Stevie came in for a few days sang some subpar songs and was on her way. She had nothing to do with that record IMO. Lindsey deserves the major credit on that one. I love that TITN was FM's second highest selling record because it proves to me that the lineup minus stevie could have succeeded without her.

Just some food for thought.
I do not think you are responding to my statement, though you quoted it. I do not think I ever said La Nicks deserved any credit for TITN. In fact, I said LB did most of the work on TITN, though I suspect CM had a significant say as did Richard. I simply said that I think La Nicks was somewhat correct in asserting LB had left FM after Mirage, though he came back (begrudgingly?) for TITN (which was his solo record at the beginning) and then officially left

As for TITN being a success without her - that is not really a comparison or conclusion you can correctly draw IMO. She was on the record, albeit in a sub par fashion save for 7W IMO. She has routinely said that LB and the band worked on her songs on the prior records when she was not around, mostly because she does not play an intrument like they do. She also was a far larger "star" (which equated to commercial success which is what you are talking about) than LB or CM (though both IMO have more musical talent) at the time and even now. In the end, FM sells best when it is the five and IMO, the use of the individual talent (via competition perhaps) escalates when the five are together, which results in a better musical product and, somewhat separately, commercial success.

Interestingly, I often wonder what La Nicks was thinking around the TITN sessions. History demostrates that she was not as present for the other records as LB, CM or the rest of the band. Maybe she thought they don't want me there anyway. Who knows. I personally think she would have liked to have been there for all of it but could not because of obligations and the rehab, which she clearly needed. Is that her "fault?" I suppose the answer is yes. But, what was she supposed to do, not put out RAL on the hope that FM (read LB IMO) would get back together and release a record three years later. To me, that is an unreasonable expectation to place on her. I mean LB apparently was going full steam ahead on his solo record, but morphed it into TITN. Are we to fault him for proceeding with a second solo venture since Mirage? True, he morphed it into a FM record, but the reasons he did that IMO are business reasons. Conversely, Wild Heart sold around two or so million records and produced three hit singles ("Stand Back" (Billboard #5), "If Anyone Falls" (#14), and "Nightbird" (#33). So, though I think she would have liked to go back and record with FM, she had no reason to use FM in IMO the way LB did, albeit to brilliant results and success.

save the cheerleader - save the world

Last edited by strandinthewind; 05-18-2008 at 12:18 PM..