View Single Post
Old 02-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Default The enigma of mr. Green's playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzero View Post
ms moose- thanks for confirming.

it is a loose take, and his voice doesn't sound strong or clear, so i can understand why some of the youtube comments on the clip are to the effect that 'he's lost it.'

but when i listen to him play i hear someone capable of, well, tossing off the original solo from black magic woman if he happens to be in the mood. that he's not playing an out of phase les paul, at less than half the volume and has altered the phrasing makes it seem subdued and less powerful, but i don't know that it is exactly that.

i've heard a lot of splinter group renditions of black magic woman and nigel always played the solo. every time the thought creeps in, well maybe he really can't do it anymore. of course a song or two later pete would do something like play 'the stumble' or 'the supernatural' better than his mayall versions and i'd wiseup. so, even though this is a shambling pick-up band performance of black magic woman, i kind of think that he hasn't lost it at all.

zero
Yes, I agree with you. The "recording" is very primitive, and his voice sounds as if he hasen't used it for a while. Still his voice has changed a lot since his younger days, but still as soulful and emotionally to the point as ever (not particularly in this take, but on the Splinter Group recordings).

Peter Green is an enigma in many ways, and I think that his playing is a lot about mood, and I think it always has been. It used to sound more mercurial and driven (this is what I mean by powerful) - but his mood - or moodswings are different now (of course - he is not 23 anymore!). Actually I think the same thing has happened to a lot of the so called guitar-heroes - they just got noicy, boring and repetetive - which he never did. "The tone" is still there (or was - as nobody has heard him play for four years).

I only saw Splintergroup once in september 2002, and I felt exactly the same way: "he has lost it...oh, no he hasn't".

His version of The Stumble on You tube (clip from The Splintergoup DVD) is brilliant - and it's gets better with every listen. And how brilliant it is becomes very clear when you compare it to Gary Moore and Mick Taylor's versions. They are very energetic....and boring (I hope I don't offend anyone by writing this).

Ms Moose