View Single Post
Old 11-15-2018, 05:33 AM
Addicted Ledgie

Location: Somewhere near Key Biscayne, nothing there so I came back

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbBen View Post
It says the band signed on for the tour, but doesn't speak to whether Lindsey himself signed anything.
Exactly. If Lindsey had signed a contract to tour, he would have been obligated to tour. Lindsey is smarter than that. The meeting at Christine's house was because Lindsey was getting cold feet in agreeing to tour in which in the end he rejected.
The big machine was busy planning a tour on the assumption a tour would happen. Lindsey was always coy on the idea (public interviews in May 1987 stated he was not sure there would be a tour). The band tried to persuade him and he almost agreed. Just because he spoke of some things he would want IF he toured, was no way an agreement to tour. No tour dates were ever announced. The band never did tour rehearsals with Lindsey either. The machine was just trying to get things in place in the assumption and speculation that Lindsey would eventually sign on the dotted line. The article is mostly correct but does not state Lindsey signed anything.
"Later in 1987, the band met up in anticipation of the promotional tour for Tango, for which they had already secured dates and signed contracts. At the meeting, Buckingham announced he was quitting the band."
That's not really correct. The statement fails to state the reason for the meeting i.e. finally getting Lindsey to agree and sign on the dotted line.

Note: It does not say Lindsey ever agreed to tour but anticipated it. Yes the big machine was working behind the scenes planning. That does not equate the band ever had an agreement for Lindsey to tour with them. In fact, he NEVER agreed to do so. Ne never changed his mind either. He only spoke hypothetically IF a tour happened things he may want. The contracts were probably for vendors, etc. The band definitely put the cart before the horse on this one. Christine mentioned that she knew Lindsey was leaving the band during the Tango sessions. They were just trying to persuade him to stay long enough to tour which ultimately failed. In Mick's book, he describes Stevie doing her best to convince Lindsey to tour stating how much fun they could have. If you are trying to convince someone to tour, its obvious they knew he never fully committed. If he had agreed and signed a contract, there would be no need to have a meeting to persuade you to tour.

Last edited by Macfan4life; 11-15-2018 at 07:00 AM..