View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 05:41 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
This. I remember during the promotion of Say You Will Stevie ducked every question placed to the band on Peacekeeper: was it about the war in Iraq? What is the band’s stance on the war? Stevie was repeatedly adamant that Fleetwood Mac was not a political band. She was just being smart... no matter what side of history her opinions may fall on, she’s very aware that sharing them might alienate half of your fanbase.

For what it’s worth, I really don’t care what any celebrity thinks about hot-button issues. I think this stems from my experiences growing up as a gay kid who was also a rabid enthusiast of the DeLorean automobile. I read John DeLorean’s autobiography as a teen, and was pretty stung by the anti-gay comments in his book. However, I snapped out of that pretty quickly. I don’t care if John DeLorean didn’t care for gays, I still loved his car anyway. In fact, I felt kinda like my owning a DeLorean car as a gay man was thumbing my nose at his views, and I dug that.

That being said, I do understand not wanting to give someone money and fame if they are vocally contrary to your beliefs. But Stevie has never been anti-gay, ever. For those saying she’s conservative, you can look up online where she has repeatedly given campaign contributions to democratic candidates. She may not be a vocal advocate for causes like Madonna or a Gaga... but that’s also not who she is. Her whole shtick has been airy-fairy escapism. People are drawn to her mystical style to escape their ****ty existences. Stevie involving herself in social and political issues would just burst that bubble. Kinda like Queen Elizabeth... if she lets her opinions be known, if she lets the media & public in too close, it kills the whole mystical facade of royalty and exceptionalism.

And as a final point... I’m still pissed at Stevie for firing Lindsey and killing Fleetwood Mac. But I haven’t stop listening to the band’s music! I am able to keep my disdain for her separate from my love of her work within Fleetwood Mac. I won’t let her kill that love.
Exactly, it hardly fits with Stevie's 'flowing through life in touch with the spirit world' thing to start signing petitions and going on marches. But that doesn't mean she's a die hard Republican either.

Oh same. I have to separate my sadness at her recent actions in destroying Fleetwood Mac, with my love for her music.