View Single Post
Old 09-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie2000 View Post
Regarding Lindsey's motivations for blocking a partial return from Christine... I'm a bit torn. We all know how much of a purist & idealist he is. But at the same time, he's also repeatedly expressed his joy of the 21st century Fleetwood Mac dynamic. He likes the more "masculine" sound without Christine, and the fact he has more breathing room in the setlist.
Yes, he's expressed this many times. Too many times for me to think of it as completely truthful. I think it was partially true and partly false bravado because he was frustrated that she left.

Plus, even though he got to do more experimental things on SYW, Sad Angel and Miss Fantasy aren't masculine. If he has to write songs like that (which I like, mind you, I'm not a person who disparages those songs) to keep Stevie from feeling alienated from his sound, then he really has not gained anything from Christine being gone creatively. If he could make more Murrow, Red Rover, etc. in her absence, then that would be a reason to keep her away. But I actually think his best bet to make those songs is with her back. If they had twelve songs, Stevie and Christine's could be commercial (Christine) and pleasing to Stevie (Stevie's 4) while Lindsey's could be as strange as he liked, without anyone complaining too much, since there would be 2/3 other stuff to balance him.

As for Stevie, by naming Lindsey as the culprit -- when no one was named in 2003 as to why Christine couldn't record when she couldn't tour -- I think she was mud-slinging. She didn't have to say who was the person behind that and certainly didn't have to add that she herself didn't care about such things. I mean, I believe the general truth of what she said, but I don't believe she wasn't trying to make him look bad. Ten years ago they gave an explanation for Christine's absence without pointing the finger at anyone in particular. They made it sound like just a joint band consensus. This time around, it was Lindsey's view.

In fact, Mick said more about Lindsey and Christine being on the phone together and Mick wondering if it was really going to happen, than Stevie ever said about Lindsey perhaps influencing Christine's participation, back then.

Michele