Thread: 1980 Live album
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2018, 02:35 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
The mystery of Sara is an ongoing mystery. How did they rerecord a lead vocal in 1980 and make it sound like the Mirage tour vocal?

There was a Pop Eye (Patrick Goldstein) article in the Times in the weeks before the end of the tour in L.A. It said that the band was going to record the final two shows for a live album. I guess the band didn't like what they heard, and decided to make the album a cobbling together of different times and places. We've all talked before about whether we would have preferred a single unified warts-and-all recording from one night.
I haven't listened to it in years but I think the Hollywood Bowl bootleg (I guess this would've been the last concert of the tour) was pretty good but from what I recall, they were pretty rough by then.

I've loved the Live 1980 album for years but quite honestly, some of what came out on the Tusk Deluxe release is far superior or good in their own right. Sara and Rhiannon were from late in the tour and they sound great despite not being "peak" and some of the stuff from that Wembley 6/22/80 show is phenomenal. It was nice to finally get an official release of so many of the Tusk songs that the Live 1980 album ignored. I'll never get how they ignored Tusk, Sisters, You Make Loving Fun, or the freaking Chain on that album!?