View Single Post
Old 05-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMacD
Partially why I said it should have been released in 1989 is that there was still SOME hope for chart success. I mean, you guys are totally discounting that a number of Fleetwood Mac's contemporaries had BIG hits, some of the biggest of their careers, in 1989. Clapton had "Journeyman," Henley had "End Of The Innocence," and Petty had perhaps the album of his career with "Full Moon Fever."
What do those three have to do with the price of tea in China. I like the disingenuous way you phrased it, too--"Fleetwood Mac's contemporaries"--thereby trying to make us group all four bands together in terms of public profile in 1989. The fact of the matter--the fact YOU have discounted, not I--is that neither Eric Clapton nor Don Henley & CERTAINLY not Tom Petty was regarded in 1989 the way Fleetwood Mac was: that is, as a blanded out, milquetoast group of cooers well past their heyday, regarded as such by both audiences & critics.

And THAT, pal, is the reason that Fleetwood would not have struck a new vein of gold in 1989.
Quote:
So, why Fleetwood Mac couldn't have had a hit in 1989? It was still possible in 1990.
I would never say it was impossible--only painfully unlikely.

moviekinks.blogspot.com