Thread: Brisbane
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2017, 05:44 AM

A DAY ON THE GREEN: STEVIE NICKS + THE PRETENDERS + ALI BARTER | LIVE REVIEW AND GALLERY | SIRROMET WINERY

risbane rocked out recently to an all-star, all-female line up of rockers at A Day On The Green.

Kicking things off, Melbourne’s Ali Barter hit the stage in the late afternoon with songs from her record ‘A Suitable Girl’, a bold and brash collection of fantastic feminist songs that felt so right paired with the music of the rock legends to come later. Fans were also treated to some new material as she rocked out to the thousands of punters partying on the hills of Sirromet Winery at Mt Cotton.

The Pretenders were in fine form, fronted by Chrissie Hynde, as they rocked the entire stage for nearly an hour. The band were as tight as ever and their performance faultless. Playful, fun and provocative, the music took life of its own when you could hear the crowd singing along to hits like ‘I’ll Stand By You’ and ‘Brass In Pocket’.

And just when you think The Pretenders couldn’t rock any harder the band launched into what seemed like a battle of the bands; guitarist against guitarist flaunting their skills, whilst their drummer sat behind and showed the crowd who’s really boss with some neat drumstick tricks.

Then finally the ‘Queen of Rock’ Stevie Nicks brought us a special two-hour performance featuring the songs and the hilarious stories across her 40-year long career. After starting things off she took a moment to thank and celebrate the life of her late collaborator and friend Tom Petty, whose influence could be heard throughout the set.

Paired with equally fantastic music were the stories behind each song, including how Nicks approached Fleetwood Mac to tell them she wanted to make a solo record, telling them she didn’t want to become a solo star and leave Fleetwood Mac – “I’m not the future Beyoncé, I’m not leaving Destiny’s Child,” she joked.

Fellow rock queen Chrissie Hynde then jumped back on stage to sing the 1981 hit ‘Stop Dragging My Heart Around’ with Nick’s in a faithful rendition of the duet she once sang with Petty.

In true Nicks fashion she treated us to a few Fleetwood Mac tunes including a stunning performance of ‘Dreams’.

A lot of the show was for the diehard fans as Nicks reached into her ‘gothic trunk of songs’ of rarely performed album cuts and live rarities featured on her 2014’s ‘24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault’.

With so many songs and stories across the night it was hard to find fault between Prince collaboration ‘Stand Back’ and the beautiful ‘If You Were My Love’ that was originally pulled last minute from her first album.

Closing out the night Stevie Nicks rocked on with an extended rendition of ‘Gold Dust Woman’ that really showcased her powerhouse voice, still unchanged in it’s warm, rich timbre. With a roaring crowd begging for more, Nicks’ guitarist strutted across the stage performing a wild guitar solo as Nicks returned to perform ‘Edge of Seventeen’. Wrapping up the night Nicks thanked the crowd with her final song ‘Rhiannon’, powerful and poetic, to deafening applause.

IMAGES (c) Nadia Achilles

More pictures here: http://blankgc.com.au/adotg-stevie-nicks/