View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 11:56 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Exclamation

Print ads and posters from the '60s and '70s often were and are wrong. I remember some book with all sorts of absolute facts based on old Marquee listings and how they were not absolute facts with printed proof from the time period. For many reasons planned appearances do not go off today. There was a great book on Liverpool's Cavern and who played there when that was pretty much totally accurate because it had a lot of input from people who were there and remembered when the printed pieces of paper were not reflective of the eventual reality that occurred. Then again, people's memories can also be wrong both individually and collectively, always best to have some caution when using facts as weapons I think... but then I've been criticized for saying things such as 'I think' or 'it seems'. (Cue the The Gambler by Kenny Rogers here).

It's painful to see people who genuinely love music and musicians upset like this. It's painful that Bob Welch was disrespected and continues to be disrespected by a few people in positions of power. I'm glad the Ventures got to play and were inducted back when they were, before it was too late. This is what is wrong though in taking something (like surfing also) which should be totally individual and artistic and make it into yet another crummy judged competition with awards and winners and losers. It brings out the worst in some people be they Christine or some extreme fans or a bunch of bean counters in offices.