View Single Post
Old 05-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Well Sharksfan 2000, Whenever I've heard this stated ,It's always "outsold the Beatles and the Stones put together " I've never heard of it limited to singles only ,and I'm not sure it was limited to 1969 but it may have been. I' ve certainly seen Clifford Davis state this several times ,but did he originate it for hype purposes ,or was he quoting it from a bona fide source? I didn't know it was based on aMelody Maker statistic relating to singles, but it wouldn't be too difficult to actually get the sales figures for singles and do a comparison . I do find the general principle a bit hard to believe though .I've never really been bothered whether it was true or not
I really loved the Beatles too, but to me they were in an league of their own . Other bands were a big infuence on me before Fleetwood Mac were even born The Who The Small Faces The Kinks to name but a few ,but I never saw any of them play live(I did see the Jimi Hendrix Experience play though ) I think this is an important point.: I couln't see the Beatles play live in 1969 not sure about the Stones, but Fleetwood Mac were playing all the time and if I'd had more money I probably would have seen more of their gigs( I'm shocked that I missed their free gig in Hyde Park How did that happen ?)They must've had a huge live following at that time (all the more surprising that there are not more of those people posting their memories here !)and that following would have bought an awful lot of records But not everyone() in England by any means had heard of Fleetwood Mac, and they were certainly considered an "underground" band until Albatross gave them wide exposure! but everyone knew about the Beatles and the Stones and would have bought their latest releases .

What definitely can be said is that FM indisputably had more ticket sales ,and were a better live act than the Beatles in 1969!

Last edited by THD; 05-24-2011 at 08:51 PM..