View Single Post
Old 06-30-2003, 07:48 PM
Ledgie

Quote:
The lyrics of that YDOYD bridge are the same as BTLH....but that's as far as it goes....
The chords are the same and the melody is similar... it's kind of the same melody sped up with no pauses between the lines.

Quote:
I don't see any musical similarity at all between Big Love and Destiny Rules....?? Did you mean Miranda?
The guitar chords that open "Destiny Rules" are basically the same chords that Lindsey plays during the chorus of Big Love, slowed way down.

Quote:
The only similarity between This Is The Time and Come is the "quiet verse / loud chorus" combination...the two songs are actually very diffferent, both musically and lyrically. Same goes for Tango In The Night.
With those songs I was talking more about the feel than the lyrics or any particular part of the melody... all three have very ethereal verses followed by power-chord choruses and lots of soloing. When I heard "Come" I felt like, "I've already heard this song from Lindsey twice." (I don't really like any of those songs so I wish Lindsey wouldn't keep writing more songs with the same structure).

Yes, his practice of alluding to other songs goes back to TUSK and "Not that Funny"/"I Know I'm Not Wrong." I think it's something you shouldn't overuse though. I mean, obviously he has a certain sound and he works within that sound. A song like "Steal Your Heart Away" doesn't necessarily sound like a specific other song of his, but it is immediately identifiable as a Lindsey Buckingham song. But given how unprolific Lindsey is, when he keeps reworking things he's recorded already, I worry that he is short on new ideas.

I do think the supercomplex picking and assymetrical melodies of "Red Rover" and "Say Goodbye" are an interesting new direction for him.

Last edited by squealy; 06-30-2003 at 08:03 PM..