View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 03:49 AM
Registered

Default Ledgie Top Tens: Album Edition

So, it's obvious we're all major music fans here. Music is like oxygen to me, and I have many favorites - we've recently had a few threads asking us to name what we consider the most beautiful songs ever, or asking what other bands or artists we are rabid about, so I thought I'd add another list to the mix.

What are your top ten favorite albums of all time and why? Don't answer based entirely on technical merit or influence on the music industry - base it on what you personally consider to be the greatest, the records you can't live without.

I'll start, and limit my answer to a list of 10, in no particular order:

- Elton John's Live in Australia with the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra - My mother had this on cassette when I was very young, and I love it more than words can say. I played the tape til it disintegrated & have since probably bought the CD at least 20 times, for myself and to give as gifts. Love the video of it, too, with Elton's kickass wig. "Madman Across the Water" with the orchestra is absolutely mindblowing, as is "60 Years On," "The King Must Die," "Have Mercy on the Criminal," and...well, hell, all of it. Just superb in every sense of the word.

- Fear Factory's Demanufacture - FF are one of my all-time favorite bands, and this is what I consider to be them at their peak. Previous albums, as well as the next album, "Obsolete," are also amazing, but nothing beats "Demanufacture" for sheer crunchy genius.

- Aphrodite's Child's 666 - I can listen to this straight through 5 times in a row and still not get tired of it. Yes, even Irene Papas' 5 min. + spazzy orgasm thing. It's just that damn good.

- Tori Amos' Boys for Pele - This is neck & neck with Little Earthquakes & From the Choirgirl Hotel, but Boys edges those two out for the amazing that is "The Doughnut Song."

- The Alan Parsons Project's The Turn of a Friendly Card - Another album I grew up on, because my mom played it constantly. I ganked that cassette from her, too, and played it til it fell apart like the Elton John tape. There is not one bad song, nor even one remotely "meh"-ish.

- The Sisters of Mercy's Floodland - "Dominion/Mother Russia"? "This Corrosion"? "Driven Like the Snow"? "Lucretia, My Reflection"? "Flood II"? Three words, my friends - utterly. bastard. groovy.

- Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds' No More Shall We Part - No list of mine could ever be complete without an entry from Mr. Cave & the Bad Seeds, but it's hard for me to choose a favorite. In the end, though, No More gets it because it gave us "Oh My Lord," which I consider to be the epitome of perfection when it comes to songwriting.

- Acid Bath's When the Kite String Pops - This band was just not around long enough, and whenever I listen to Kite, I am reminded of what a damn shame that is.

- Sunshine Blind's Love the Sky to Death - Another band that just wasn't around long enough (unfortunately, partly due to the shenanigans of one Andrew Eldritch of aforementioned Sisters of Mercy), Love the Sky to Death was one of the albums that really got me into goth music back in the day, and it still stands up like whoa whenever I listen to it.

And last, but not least - - The 4 disc version of 25 Years: The Chain - I feel like this is cheating, but it's the only way I'm going to be able to get most of my fav Mac songs on one release.

All right, so there's mine. Whatcha got for me?

All the same, baby. All the same.

"You never know what I'll do. I've resequenced my show. I'm a master at sequencing. I'm the one who sequenced for Fleetwood Mac. I sequenced 'Rumours.' Everyone loves my sequences. They're fun.''