View Single Post
Old 06-12-2009, 03:33 PM
Addicted Ledgie

I have such a bad memory! So I can't remember the many examples, but what made last night so special are these two qualities:

1. The band is playing like a band! Correction: like THE mf'ing band. Watching these four people really make music TOGETHER is perhaps the world's most beautiful spectacle (other than the new Julian Hernandez film which I saw earlier that day, but that's ANOTHER story). There was more vocal harmonizing, there was more improvisation, there was more palpable joy, there was more of Stevie singing TO Lindsey. There was love. If you ask me, it's time to get into the studio and put some of that magic down on record.

2. Stevie and Lindsey were hams, and it was wonderful. Stevie's Lindsey-in-the-bed story, both of them making jokes about their age, various pantomimes of being tired or not being surprised to be loved and adored by the crowd or bandmembers. But it was the change in the songs that really galvanized their hamminess, their show-offiness. Throughout I kept exclaiming over Lindsey's playing: "I've never heard THAT before" -- he really seemed to improvising these amazing new flourishes to reinvigorate the songs. And as for Stevie: I've never seen Stevie do "Gypsy" like this -- it was playful, zesty, and moving. She changed a line in Silver Springs and did it purposely -- she was very forceful in saying: "And did you say that YOU love HER." And more: StrandInTheWind and I shared a moment over Stevie's kicka** wail during Gold Dust Woman. She was on fire. And Mick and John were too. . . btw, the band finally has mastered "Storms" and, now, Mick's playing is just so beautiful, especially at the end with the cymbals.

ETA: And Lindsey was a super ham on Never Going Back Again, which now has an extended intro I've never heard before... it was gorgeous... and then his singing of the song is just so over the top now. But, vocally, very lovely, all his little flourishes. And "Oh Well" is becoming a vaudeville routine. And I ain't complaining!

Great show. I got second row seats and snuck up in front of the stage. Where I stepped on way too many toes. Apologies.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.