View Single Post
Old 01-15-2009, 01:40 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
But even with his resurgence in the Splinter Group, the fact that that unit released nine albums in less than that many years sort of hints of a money grab to me. And if there is one thing we ALL know, Peter isn't into green manalishi!
Haha, I like your "manalishi" comment. Yeah, nine albums is a lot.. but I guess it also means that Peter's health in the late 90s and early 2000s has been enormously improved, compared to his days with Kolors. Splinter Group's work load and touring could never have happened in the 80s.

And I guess it's a give-and-take situation really. I mean: Where would Nigel be today without Peter? And where would Peter be today without Nigel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoot View Post
I'm not so sure about those "solvings" my friend. I'm 99.9 percent certain you and others may be fooling yourselves with such clarity. Snowy and Nigel have both mastered the art of imitation, it's been part of their jobs. That trump card can be pulled out as needed. I won't try to debate on just how much of PG you're hearing at any given time in the post Mac recordings, but trust me it's not always as black and white as it may seem, and far from a duckshoot to decipher. Those who think it is are into wishful thinking. The same can be said for Danny Kirwan years earlier, who possessed the talent to trade licks with - and imitate in many ways - Pete at the end.
Ah, I bet you haven't even bothered to look up those posts!!
Peter's approach is unique!! Mayall said recently that he's one of few players who only have to take a couple of notes, to be recognized. It's true!!!
Nigel Watson?!?! A former plumber (or whatever)?!?! As Vinnie said: "...he ain't got it." Their guitar styles are as different as their voices.
This sort of thing always puzzles me... if people can't distinguish Peter Green from any other guitar wannabe ... then what's the big thing about Peter Green then?? Why would he be so special then to those people???

It always bothers me to read album reviews that go like this:
Peter Green really does a great guitar solo on You'll Be Sorry Someday..." Those reviewers haven't got a clue, as he doesn't play guitar solo on that track.
So, name any SG track, and I'll tell you who's who!

I get the impression you admire Danny more than Peter. And I agree, Danny needs much more recognition! Though, as much as I really adore Danny (both as guitar player and songwriter), I always find that Peter is dimentions above him! As for them trading licks, I've no trouble identifying who's who! The two have completely different styles!! True, they both developed until the "end" in 1970, but I have most bootlegs from that era and the two are actually very different! Listening to bootleg live recordings of for example Rattlesnake Shake/Madge Jams ... you can always identify who's taking lead and who's doing rhythm .. same when they're trading licks!

Btw Snoot, that's a wonderful photo!! Never seen it!! Thanks a lot!!

Last edited by dansven; 01-15-2009 at 01:44 PM..