View Single Post
Old 06-16-2015, 06:23 PM
Addicted Ledgie

WZLX June 15, 2015 10:00 AM by Sabrina Boyd (@SabrinaKayaB)

Rock’s Best Breakup Songs

http://wzlx.cbslocal.com/2015/06/15/...breakup-songs/

Fleetwood Mac made their most famous album, Rumours, in the midst of mass breakups.

Really, everyone in the band was going through a breakup – John and Christine McVie, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham, and Mick Fleetwood and his wife.

Somehow, rather than blowing the band apart, the two ex-couples and Mick turned all that pain and heartbreak into an amazing record.

The most successful song from that album, “Dreams,” became the band’s only #1 Billboard single on June 18, 1977. It was written by Stevie Nicks, about Lindsey Buckingham, of course.

“Now here you go again / You say you want your freedom / Well, who am I to keep you down?”
“Like a heartbeat, drives you mad / In the stillness of remembering what you had / And what you lost”

Nicks wrote the song in 10 minutes during a recording session for another track on the album. Surprisingly, but fortunately, Buckingham wasn’t upset by it at all – he appreciated the beauty of the music. Nicks told The Daily Mail,

“I walked in and handed a cassette of the song to Lindsey. It was a rough take, just me singing solo and playing piano. Even though he was mad with me at the time, Lindsey played it and then looked up at me and smiled. What was going on between us was sad. We were couples who couldn’t make it through. But, as musicians, we still respected each other – and we got some brilliant songs out of it.”

“Go Your Own Way” – Fleetwood Mac

“Loving you / Isn’t the right thing to do / How can I ever change things that I feel?”

Come on, they definitely deserve to be on this list twice.