Thread: New Book
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2016, 08:27 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerMcvie View Post
People don't give 50% of the royalties to "just the keyboard player". Nice try, though.

Nicks has often told the story of how she wrote the song. She wrote it on the day of her marriage to Kim Anderson on January 29, 1983. The newlyweds were driving up to San Ysidro Ranch in Santa Barbara when Prince's song "Little Red Corvette" came on the radio. Nicks started humming along to the melody, especially inspired by the lush synthesizers of the song, and "Stand Back" was born. They stopped and got a tape recorder and she recorded the demo in the honeymoon suite that night. Later, when Nicks went into the studio to record the song, she called Prince and told him the story of how she wrote the song to his melody. He came to the studio that night and played synthesizers on it, although his contribution is uncredited on the album. He and Nicks did agree however to split the publishing royalties on the song 50-50. Then, she says, "he just got up and left as if the whole thing happened in a dream."
Not sure what you mean by "nice try"I have heard this story repeated in variations since 1983. I also said that she got the melody from "Little Red Corvette"

Last edited by BombaySapphire3; 06-25-2016 at 09:28 PM..