View Single Post
Old 09-10-2022, 11:47 AM
Addicted Ledgie

47.Fall (Scott Mann); grade: B-

Just as an exploitation film teasing one's fear of heights, Mann's Fall achieves the desired effect. It's concept: Two women get trapped atop the country's 4th tallest structure with no way down. (My hands are sweating just typing this, remembering the film.) However, the proves to be a double-entendre as well: it's about the perils of falling in love, of the potential for grief and for betrayal. Overcoming the former and confronting the latter provides the dramatic arch and conflict between the two women on a platform a bazillion feet above the ground. Grace Caroline Currey (from TV's Revenge) and Virginia Gardner give the film their conviction--and are exciting female heroines when survival mode kicks in (reminding me of the pleasures offered by My Side of the Mountain or Castaway). Two obligatory twists get thrown in (one I saw coming, but still gasped at the reveal; one I saw coming so hard, I thought the film wouldn't fall so low--it did, continuing a new survival movie cliche). At its core, it suggests a man's ideas about women's relationship fears.

Imagine paying $1000 to hear "Don't Dream It's Over" instead of "Go Your Own Way"

Fleetwood Mac helped me through a time of heartbreak. 12 years later, they broke my heart.