Thread: Boston show
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 07:02 AM

Stevie Nicks wows with ‘24 Karat Gold’ show

Stevie Nicks doesn’t need Fleetwood Mac.

I’m so happy she has the Mac, because they’re amazing. But Nicks’ solo catalog does fine filling two hours — as she proved last night at a packed TD Garden.

The golden goddess in gossamer has huge, instantly-recognizable hits. In the ’80s she had ten Top 40 singles (not including her Mac smashes). But last night proved her “forgotten” works have equal force and beauty.

For this run of shows, she dug up brilliant pop nuggets “Bella Donna” and “If Anyone Falls,” gone from her live set since 1981 and 1983 respectively. She debuted “Wild Heart” — how had she never played that on a jaunt she dubbed “The Wild Heart Tour?” Even “Crying in the Night,” from the long-deleted, 1973 “Buckingham Nicks,” got the love it always deserved.

But Nicks went deeper. The singer devoted much of the evening to tracks from “24 Karat Gold: Songs From the Vault,” made up of recently re-recorded demos. A little too polished on record, the material got nicely roughed up by the eight-piece band. The best of the bunch, “Starshine” dated back to 1979, when she stopped by Tom Petty’s house to have the Heartbreakers cut it with her.

I showed up with Hershey’s powder in case I wanted to make chocolate milk,” she said. “And my guitar.

Nicks also told stories: making records with Petty and Lindsey Buckingham, writing songs for Waylon Jennings that turned out to be duets with Don Henley, the value of high quality silk for your capes

The songs and stories made the night unique. The hits made it perfect. As she said herself, “‘Rhiannon’ has been with me at every show since 1975.” And last night “Rhiannon” was joined by “Edge of Seventeen,” “Stand Back” and — as a duet with opener Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders — “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”

Hynde and her band kicked things off with a tough, tight set true to their raw, rock ‘n’ roll legacy. But after a few ragged numbers, Hynde slipped in the most tender tune in her catalog: “Hymn to Her.” After the mystic moment, she quietly added, “That was for Hillary.” A few minutes later, she followed it up with new song “Holy Commotion” saying, “It’s about how white surprises aren’t Christians. So do what you want with that.” Lovely to see Hynde remains equal parts punk and pop.

http://www.bostonherald.com/entertai...arat_gold_show