View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 10:19 PM
Addicted Ledgie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOfTheDragon View Post
This reminded me of some remarks Bob Welch made during one of his Q&A's on the Penguin site, so I did some digging to find his exact words:

Source: http://www.fleetwoodmac.net/penguin/qa/bobwelch_qa3.htm
I remember these remarks by Bob. They had a ring of truth about them. Christine can be sarcastic, John can be dark and moody, and Mick can be a drama queen. Ken Caillat also admitted that Christine was no picnic to work with ("That's a stupid ****ing shirt!"). She is practically mocking Stevie to her face on the Tusk documentary outtake ("Angels in the background.") But context is everything. Could you imagine working at the boards hour after hour watching and listening to Stevie describe the magnificence of her own work? I'd hurl.

At the time Lindsey allegedly met with Bob, he had been battling with John about John's bass parts. Mick discusses this in his book. There was also a definite pecking order in the band, with Fleetwood and the McVies at the top. Lindsey was used to being top dog in his duo; he was used to controlling all the musical decisions. I'm sure contending with the British core trio must have frustrated him. That, as the music reveals, was best for all parties involved.

Another consideration: Bob was pissed at Mick, John, and especially Chris during that Q and A. They shut him out of the RRHOF, and basically ignored his legacy presumably because he sued them--a bitter and ironic echo of the 1974 lineup's battle with Clifford Davis. Before this, all of Bob's previous remarks about the band (admittedly decades earlier) were overwhelmingly positive. Take a look at The Dance rehearsal interviews. At one point Mick offhandedly mentions Bob's unexpected departure from the band. Christine visibly stiffens and coldly says "the writing was on the wall." John echoes Christine's words. Clearly that lawsuit was a source of bitter contention. So, in all, I don't know if Bob's assessment of the Brits is entirely fair or accurate.

Last edited by aleuzzi; 10-26-2016 at 01:06 PM..